Tell Us Once


When someone has died their death needs to be registered with the Registrar. Once the registration has taken place, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information.

There is a service to help you give the information to the Department of Works and Pensions. They then pass it on to a number of other government departments and local authority services.

How to contact this service

  • In person: If you would like to talk to an advisor, you may do so after you have registered the death. Further information will be given to you when you call to make your appointment with the Registrar.
  • By telephone: If you would like to speak to someone on the telephone, please call the DW&P on 0800 085 7308 after you have registered the death. The lines are open Mon-Fri 8am-8pm. This number is free to call from a BT landline but other providers  may charge you.

Who they can give information to:

They will contact the following organisations, if required:

  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • The Pension Service
  • Disability and Carers Service
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • HM Revenue & Customs (Child Benefit/Tax Credits)
  • Identity  and Passport Service
  • Housing Benefit Office / Council Tax Benefit Office

The service can also contact the following organisations:

  • Council Housing / Council Tax
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult & Children’s Services
  • Children’s Services
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Electoral Services
  • The DVLA

This service requires the Deceased’s National Insurance Number